Fireworks can only be used after the 11 p.m. cutoff on:

> Bonfire Night until Midnight

> Diwali until 1 a.m.

> New Year's Eve until 1 a.m.

> Chinese New Year until 1 a.m.

Fireworks can be fun and add to the enjoyment of festivals and other celebrations. But they can also cause distress and frighten eldrely people, young children and pets. If you are celebrating with fireworks, a little forethought and preparation can help to make the occasion enjoyable for everyone.

Please remember to be considerate to your neighbours when celebrating with fireworks. Sudden and unexpectedly loud explosions can be very distressing and frightening.

If you are going to let them off in your garden, please warn your neighbours in advance, especially those who are elderly, vulnerable or who have pets. If they know what to expect, they can prepare for it. Instead of being alarmed and worried they could join in the fun by watching from their window. This is especially important for families with young children.

A Summary of the Law

You must be aged 18 years or over before you can buy Categories 2 or 3 fireworks, often called Adult Fireworks.

Category 4 fireworks can only be used by licensed professionals.

You must not set off or throw fireworks (including sparklers) in the street or any other public place.

You must not set off fireworks between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. except on:

  • Bonfire Night, when the cut off is midnight
  • New Year’s Eve, Diwali and Chinese New Year, when the cut off is 1 a.m.

Buying fireworks

You can only buy fireworks (including sparklers) from registered sellers for private use on these dates:

  • Between 15th October and 10th November
  • Between 26th to 31st December
  • For three days before Diwali and Chinese New Year respectively

At other times you can only buy fireworks from licensed shops

You can get an on-the-spot fine of £90 or be fined up to £5,000 and imprisoned for up to six months by a court for selling or using fireworks illegally.

Incidents involving the use of fireworks in the street should be reported to the Police at the time they occur.

General firework nuisance should be reported to Charnwood Borough Council. See its website: